Sunday, May 31, 2015

Beyond Travel

Someone told me travelling is often like fishing. There is a fine line of difference between real fishing and standing on the shore with a fishing-rod. Being a Bong I could not hold back and ventured out with my cone of favourite spicy assorted Jhaalmuri.

Creepers, Grape Vine, Apple Orchards, Mountains & exuberant children play in them laughing with exhilaration. Gaudy Ornate flowers have laden Shikaras, beautiful damsels sparkle with colourful jewellery, the wide expanse of the horizon ends where the sun melts into the Dal Lake. On top of a small hill, I surrender myself to Nature as the clouds embrace me. Far from the picture created by the media of volcanic terrorism and angry militants, I see a different Kashmir –a soul charming Kashmir. Life in India amuses you..

I jump into a bullock cart. As it passes through the golden bright yellow mustard fields of the Punjab I taste my first Lohri. Along the villages, the kids, the aged and the grownups go round me telling their own story and belief why they toss sugar candies and sesame seeds into bonfire at sunset. I stood motionless as a statue wondering how a simple harvest could bring so many reasons to celebrate, so much joy to cheer about. I learnt, it’s not “simple” when its harvest. Life in India, for sure, amuses you..

Colourful colours are splashed all over! Yes I don’t get a better way to describe Vibrant Gujarat. Every corner of the state exudes warmth and welcome.
Bandhani dyed dupattas fly in the air with million colours woven into them. Dandiya sticks snap the deal, when hands clap in garba.


Merriment seems to be in the air, merriment seems to be in the soul. I take a gulp and ask them how easy it was to start life afresh after the deadly earthquakes and the riots. I remember a small boy telling me with a smile on his face, ‘though memories continue to haunt, and will do so forever, the celebrations must go on, for them to be thankful to what that still have after the loss’. The sadness in his eyes reflects the tragedy they had been through, but the colours tend to disguise it away for a moment. I asked his name, but I pause here now, for, we search unnecessary dimensions in a name. Life in India really amuses you..

Puppets and giggling women watching them, bright turban bearers sitting around to talk – this creates my first impression of Rajasthan. Grand Havelis, Panihari songs and Geer still boast of a unique grandeur and Royal heritage. They tell excerpts of an amusing story how they see the worst of sukha and how cheerfully they celebrate Teej believing in the rituals to welcome the monsoons and a drop of water for life. Life in India cannot but thrill you.

The slums of Kolkata look like doll houses even today. The sounds of the Conch Shells as they call it Sankhs reverberate and together with the dhaks announce the advent of the Rio Carnival of the Eastern Hemisphere. I marvel at the idol of Maa Durga, a Hindu idol almost brought to life by a Muslim sculptor. People decked up in new dress, forgetting pains and sorrows, line up for hours to have a glance of their God they mostly believe to be their Mother. Life in India surprises you.

As my train started from Kolkata, with a packet of Jhaalmuri in my hand I reminisce and get awestruck marvelling over mankind and its untold emotions. My train turns South towards Bangalore and I embark on another journey to discover a whole new world – to meet people and unearth things so near to me yet so far away. Really, a Handful of Jhaalmuri always amuses you.


Travel story by Sandipan Bhattacharjee for Jhaalmuri Boisakhi





Jhaalmuri 

2 comments:

  1. I was searching for a travel guide for my first visit to India. I came across this, thanks to Google and to the editor of this fantastic magazine. I just lived a virtual experience of travelling in India by reading this article. India is not just to be seen, not just to be tasted with food, the literature too needs to be tasted and relished. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will like to thank you. This black & white writing is so colorful

    ReplyDelete

Please share your valuable feedback

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...